8.02.2011

A couple recipes

I made a few things for a family gathering 2 weeks ago. Both turned out fabulous, so I thought I would share with you!

(*I didn't follow the actual recipe. I knew this was going to be in a crockpot so I altered it so it would hold up all day. The original called for mexican cheese or shredded Monterrey Jack. The cheese would be melted in the skillet and served immediately. I added the cheese soup to keep the cheese from getting too firm.)

Tequila Infused Queso:
1 tbsp Olive or Vegetable Oil
1 large ripe tomato, cored and seeded (if you wish) and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
1 medium white onion cute into 1/4 inch pieces
Hot Chile(s) to taste (roughly 1 large jalapeno or 2 large serranos), stemmed, seeded (if you wish) and finely chopped
3 tbsp tequila, preferably a silver tequila (I had Jose on hand so that's what I used)
1 can Campbell's Fiesta Nacho Cheese Soup
8 oz Monterrey Jack shredded cheese
Cilantro (for garnish)

Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
Add tomato, onion and chile(s), stirring near constantly, until the onion begins to soften & brown, about 7 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add tequila and cook, stirring for a minute or so, until reduced to a glaze.
Add skillet mixture to Fiesta Nacho Cheese soup and shredded cheese in a crockpot. Cover stirring occasionally until melted and warm.




I made some pita chips to go along with this. I just cut them into small triangles and brushed them with olive oil, salt, pepper and a little bit of lime juice. (I should probably tell you how long to bake them. Ugh! Sorry for the edit folks!) I baked them at 400 for 8-10 minutes.

Corn, Avocado, Tomato and Mozzarella Salad:
Serves 8
Dressing:
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup good quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 tbsp fresh Lime Juice
1 tsp finely grated lime zest
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Salad:
4 ears corn, kernels removed (about 3 cups)
1 1/2 pounds grape tomatoes, halved (about 3 cups)
1 pound fresh mozzarella
2 medium avocados, diced

Combine the dressing ingredients in a blender, using 2 tsps salt and pepper to taste; process until smooth. coming the salad ingredients in a large bowl and toss with the dressing. Let sit at least 15 minutes before serving or cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.

(*I found that the dressing could be a bit much so I didn't use it all. Next time I might try something different.)


Both recipes turned out fantastic. They were so delicious! I can't wait to try them again and change it up a little bit. Have any of you made anything delicious lately?!

XOXO

2 comments:

  1. WOW! This looks amazing. I have really been into a Mexican food kick lately. I will definitely have to save these recipes for later. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There wasn't a bite left of the queso. I would definitely add some peppers to the mix next time. It's my new go to party dip! Let me know if you try it!

    ReplyDelete