7.28.2011

A love bookstores

I do, I really do. I could spend hours upon hours in a bookstore. Stick me in a Barnes and Noble with an Sbux in hand you might not hear a peep out of me all afternoon. Jenn and I stopped at Books and Co. during our shopping trip last Friday. I picked up 2 new books. Here's the thing....I like to buy books. I have books sitting around that I've never read. Yet, here I am buying more. It is what it is. This is what I came out with.

I love some good Chick Lit. It always makes for an easy read and sometimes that's just what you need!


A review from Amazon: Chick lit doyenne Weiner offers airtight proof that the genre thrives with this clever, sad and sweet turn on Thelma and Louise–style rage. Juggling the politics of broken families, heartbreaking betrayal and shaky self-esteem, two girlhood pals—ugly duckling Addie and wounded beauty Valerie—reconnect after their high school reunion, where Valerie exacts a long-in-coming revenge on smug former beau Dan Swansea. But the payback gets more complicated when police chief Jordan Novick, nursing a broken heart and a crush-at-first-sight with Addie, is called in to investigate Dan's disappearance. Along the way, Val and Addie stage what may be the funniest not-quite-heist ever pulled off as they evade the heat over the missing Dan. The big payoff, of course, is that Addie and Valerie mend the mean-girls misunderstanding that drove them apart as teens and discover the shared pain and loss that bound them as kids and, once again, as adults. This beach read will win readers over with its wit and wisdom.


Everyone I know is reading this book. I've heard nothing but good things. They made it into a movie but after watching the trailer I do not think I could handle watching it. At least not in the theater. I'm really looking forward to starting this book!


Here is a review on Amazon: De Rosnay's U.S. debut fictionalizes the 1942 Paris roundups and deportations, in which thousands of Jewish families were arrested, held at the Vélodrome d'Hiver outside the city, then transported to Auschwitz. Forty-five-year-old Julia Jarmond, American by birth, moved to Paris when she was 20 and is married to the arrogant, unfaithful Bertrand Tézac, with whom she has an 11-year-old daughter. Julia writes for an American magazine and her editor assigns her to cover the 60th anniversary of the Vél' d'Hiv' roundups. Julia soon learns that the apartment she and Bertrand plan to move into was acquired by Bertrand's family when its Jewish occupants were dispossessed and deported 60 years before. She resolves to find out what happened to the former occupants: Wladyslaw and Rywka Starzynski, parents of 10-year-old Sarah and four-year-old Michel. The more Julia discovers—especially about Sarah, the only member of the Starzynski family to survive—the more she uncovers about Bertrand's family, about France and, finally, herself. Already translated into 15 languages, the novel is De Rosnay's 10th (but her first written in English, her first language). It beautifully conveys Julia's conflicting loyalties, and makes Sarah's trials so riveting, her innocence so absorbing, that the book is hard to put down.

Have any of you read anything great lately?? The last great book I read was The Help. I CANNOT wait to see the movie. I've heard that it follows the book perfectly. Which really excites me. I hate when the book gets altered to make a movie. I feel like the movie industry thinks they are making it "better" but in reality they ruin it. My Sister's Keeper, if you need an example. Some of you may not have read the book or refused to see the movie after hearing what they did to it. Don't get me wrong, it was a decent movie. But, if you read the book first, I guarantee you left pissed off. I was able to hear Jodi Picoult speak. She told us about the movie. She was honored that her book was becoming a movie but at the same time she wished they would have left it alone. I'm sure there is the rare occasion that the book doesn't get ruined. But, I tend to have my doubts.

Well that's my rant for the day. Happy Thursday Dolls!

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment